Slow cooker beef stroganoff is a single of the greatest crock pot recipes I have ever created! This homemade creamy stroganoff is a fill-you-up, traditional comfort food dinner, no canned soup needed.
We’re kicking it previous college with Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff from scratch. This recipe is notable both for what it does offer—all the creamy, cozy flavor of the traditional recipe, lightened up with a number of healthier ingredient swaps and manufactured less difficult in the crock pot—as well as for what it doesn’t. This crock pot beef stroganoff is manufactured with out canned soup, please and thank you!
I grew up eating my Grandma Dorothy’s traditional beef stroganoff, so this homey dish has a unique area in my heart. She typically manufactured it for my sisters and me when we went in excess of to go to her after church, so cooking and consuming this dish reminds me of her in a specific way.
If you’ve by no means had beef stroganoff, it’s a wealthy, creamy beef and mushroom sauce served above noodles. It’s the type of no-frills loved ones recipe that warms and reassures in that special way that I keep in mind only grandma could—simply, unconditionally, and in which food is involved, deliciously.
How Do I Make Beef Stroganoff?
This is an straightforward beef stroganoff recipe, particularly considering that the slow cooker does the cooking. Here’s every thing you need to know to make creamy, tender conventional beef stroganoff, crockpot-fashion!
What is the Greatest Minimize of Meat for Beef Stroganoff?
There are a number of ways to make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff. The largest differentiator is the kind of meat you select. When you make it, you can use:
- sliced beef (typically sirloin)
- ground beef
My grandma usually used sliced beef in her stroganoff, so that’s what you’ll discover right here, but if you prefer to make slow cooker ground beef stroganoff, I have a number of suggestions for you in the recipe notes.
If you are hunting for a stove leading stroganoff recipe (or are just in a hurry and don’t have time to wait on the slow cooker), you can check out this thirty-minute Chicken Stroganoff . The same recipe also operates well with ground beef.
What is Stroganoff Sauce Made Of?
In the model of the recipe that seems in the classic Russian cookbook A Gift to Youthful Housewives, the beef stroganoff sauce is produced with lightly floured beef cubes, bouillon, and mustard, then completed with sour cream. No mushrooms, no onions.
In the versions of beef stroganoff you’ll locate most typically in the United States (and on my Grandma’s table), the beef stroganoff sauce also contains onions and mushrooms. Some recipes phone for white wine (this a single does not, though you can add it if you like) and other individuals even use cream cheese.
An additional branch on the beef stroganoff family members tree is beef stroganoff with cream of mushroom soup. Do not go here. Beef stroganoff from scratch is effortless to make no want to depend on processed ingredients.
What Herbs are Utilized in Beef Stroganoff?
Let’s be actual: beef stroganoff is not a looker. That mentioned, you can definitely include a pop of color and an added layer of deliciousness by finishing it with fresh herbs.
- Thyme is my preferred herb to include to beef stroganoff and what you see pictured right here.
- Parsley is one more tasty decision.
- Dill, whilst not standard, is another herb I truly take pleasure in with beef stroganoff. Whilst I don’t always have fresh dill on hand, I do have dried dillweed in my pantry, which is super yummy additional to the beef stroganoff sauce.
Far more Approaches to Cook Beef Stroganoff
- If you are in a hurry, verify out my recipe for Quick Pot Beef Stroganoff. It’s adapted from this slow cooker edition but is ready in a fraction of the time.
How to Make a Healthier Beef Stroganoff Recipe
For this Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff recipe, I caught to my grandma’s recipe as inspiration, with a number of departures to make it a more healthy beef stroganoff.
- I opted for a lean minimize of beef: sirloin. Sirloin can nonetheless stand up to the extended cooking time in the crock pot (and crock pot beef stroganoff = straightforward beef stroganoff) but is comparatively lean in contrast to other cuts.
When the slow cooker stroganoff is finished, the beef is fall-apart tender, with no becoming heavy or greasy. (For yet another fall-apart tender beef recipe, see this amazing Crock Pot Beef Stew!)
- Alternatively of making the crockpot beef stroganoff with sour cream, I employed plain Greek yogurt. It gives the stroganoff sauce the identical richness I bear in mind from my childhood, but Greek yogurt is greater in protein and reduced in fat than sour cream.
- Finally, while I stored the classic egg noodle form, I employed whole wheat egg noodles instead of standard, as they provide much more fiber and protein.
You truly can serve this crock pot beef stroganoff with any shape of noodles you like, but egg noodles are classic. I’m also biased, as these are the noodles my grandma used in her beef stroganoff, and grandma understands ideal.
Speaking of grandma realizing ideal, here’s the most essential tip about beef stroganoff she shared each single time we ate it:
Go back for seconds. Usually.